Accelerating your paid subscriptions
How do I convert my readers into loyal paying subscribers?
In this article, we'll discuss key elements to turning your casual readers into loyal paying l subscribers.
The first area we are going to focus on is messaging. While Leaky Paywall can handle virtually any paywall setup, your messaging will be just as important as our software.
- Why should your readers pay you?
- What is your mission?
- Explain the value to you readers.
- Educate your audience on why you need their support.
- Broadcast your messaging throughout your site.
Here are a few great subscription message examples:
Include custom welcome emails based on the subscription level that readers sign up to. For example, your welcome email to your free subscribers might include language around signing up for a paid premium level for more access.
Free Registration Level
Now, let's talk about creating a free registration level. We talk about this particular strategy all of the time here at Zeen101! What is a free registration level and why implement one?
A free registration level is designed to cultivate everyday readers into paid subscribers by giving away free content in exchange for an email address. Here's what your set-up might look like:
- Give all readers on your site at least 1 article for free each month. This will ensure search engines can index your content and allows social sharing to commence.
- Create a free subscription level in Leaky Paywall that gives readers access to 3 articles on a "forever" timeline.
- Set up MailChimp with Leaky Paywall so these free subscription level subscribers land in MailChimp.
- Send out your daily/weekly newsletter to your free subscription level subscribers with links to your content.
- Your free subscription level subscribers will access your content eventually eating up their 3 free articles.
- Once the 3 free articles used up, your free subscribers will be prompted to upgrade their plans to a paid plan to continue access.
We recommend this strategy across the board. Whether you're a news publisher, magazine publisher, or something in between, a free registration strategy can grow your paid subscribers. Learn more about setting up a free registration level with Leaky Paywall.
Give your readers multiple payment avenues
- Set-up donations
- Allow your readers to pay what they want for access (set-up a minimum if needed)
- Offer a monthly and yearly payment option
- Set-up group accounts (great for schools, clubs, etc)
- Set-up corporate accounts
- Sell individual articles, video, or live streams
- Offer your readers a trialing discount for their first month or first year
- Add a clock to your promotions (25% off until X date)
- Run some type of promotion all of the time
Looking for more?
Grab out 77 page Digital Subscriptions: The Ultimate Guidebook for News and Magazine Publishers